This course is Part 1 of a 4-part series
The purpose of this course is to introduce you to the field of structural engineering. The course will cover three topic areas: What is Engineering, The Language of Engineering and Engineering Means and Methods. The goals of the course are:
- To help you understand the process that an engineer uses to analyze a structure.
- To provide an understanding of engineering terms so that you can clearly communicate with your engineer.
- To introduce you to basic engineering concepts for static structures as a basis for further work in parts 2 through 4 of this series.
The other courses in this series will cover:
- Part 2: Loads, Reactions & Free Body Diagrams: What are the forces
- Part 3: Strength of Materials: Why things are strong
- Part 4: Behavior of Structures: Beams, Trusses & Columns